Saturday 7 June 2014

Hey everyone,

This is going to be my second iteration on making my own plushies. As you can still see, I am still using the same material in order to get a hang of myself before I actually start the real deal.

To reflect on my process, i felt that it was actually more comfortable than before since I knew what to do. I have used the same method as last time, except that I tried to make my sewing much neater than the first. Some of the things I still struggle with in my sewing is trying to hide all the lines which makes it seem unprofessional if I were to work in a sewing factory. However, I am improving as the process goes along.


First, I had made the arms and legs of the plush. I used the same method of stitching similar to the previous iteration. What I had done differently however is to try and improve on my craft.



Now for the head, I used jean fabric to cut up four parts of fabric like leaf parts to make the head. What i did to sew them on was attaching two parts of fabric together and then the other two afterwards


Then what I did was attaching both parts together to make the head as seen below.



We need some more personality in this plush, so I bought some googly eyes from dressew. I find that these were a good fit by how they were easily sewable. However i decided to glue them on with superglue to avoid being flimsy.


Next, I bought some polyester stuffing to stuff my plushie. I find this an important component of making a plush by how it provides softness toward it. It certainly was better than using tissues by how the tissues had a rigid state while the stuffing has more control over it.



After sewing on the arms, legs and head. I then proceeded on gluing the eye.




What I did after that was to attach all the parts together to make a plush that would hopefully be standing. I find that this was the most time consuming part by how much stitching I had to do.



All done, generally an improvement over my last iteration



A bit camera shy eh? Well, stay tuned for the next iteration tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. hmmm a couple pieces of advice I have are things such as: cutting your parts so that they are too large so you can flip out the fabric so that the stitches aren't exposed. Another thing I'd like to suggest is playing around with some fabric paint so that the parts are easier to differentiate. Lastly, try using one of those "bead-like" stuffing used for stuffed animals so that it keeps it shape easier...cotton stuffing can flatten out easily, which can change the look of what you're making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Ji Eun. I know that I still have lots of work to do and I will try to incorporate what you suggested in my final project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angus, I really love these character plushies you've made! I really like the personal touch, especially the camera-shy personality you've added. I can't wait to see all your creations in class!
    I can definitely relate with the struggle of sewing neatly as possible and hiding your mistakes. I use to find the same thread color as my fabric in hopes of camouflaging my sewing mistakes. Can't wait to see the next iteration!

    ReplyDelete