Monday 9 June 2014

Final Iteration





Hello Fellow Bloggers

As you know, this is my final iteration for my plushies. My first preview of my process


The first thing I did was to make a sketch of my projected project. Although I am not doing this particular shape, I am using this as a reference of what I want to achieve.  What I did for my rough sketch was draw in pencil and then cut that it with scissors


After cutting them out with scissors, I then proceeded to cut the fabric according to the reference parts. I felt natural at this because it was easier to refer to from my second iterations. 



 After sewing both sides similar to my second iteration, I then proceeded on to stuffing it with fabric. One thing I did not do differently is stuffing enough fabric for it to be hard. I felt that in my second iteration, I did not stuff enough and therefore it became flimsy.


In an attempt to hide the open up fabric of both parts, I made a patch not only to hide the open fabric, but to provide an interesting attempt of detail behind it. The first thing I did was made a jean type pattern and then a purple type pattern on the front of the plush. Here are references below:



This is the back: Jean Fabric



This is the front: Purple patch



After an egregious time of sewing, I finally managed to sew all of the arms, legs and body with the exception of the head.


An early start to my process.



I then proceeded to attach all the parts on the body. What I did differently to attach is instead of sewing the parts on the outside, I sewed it on the inside of the body in an attempt to improve and work on my craft. I actually found this process difficult because I could not see where I was sewing and that I had a higher risk of making a messup.



This is halfway through my process.




Finally, completing my stitching of all four parts.



Now, onto the head. I actually found the head more difficult because the sewing of the eyes and nose required much careful sewing. Having thought of my process for my final iteration, the head was the most difficult to do in terms of how many components there are in one part of a plush.


Having attached all of the parts, I finally felt accomplished by finishing my iteration after eight to ten hours of endless sewing.


This is the shirt I used to make the purple stitch of the belly, hands and feet  and nose.



Now although I have finished the body, I felt that it's time to add some more personality to my plush. In this case, I am using fabric paint to add detail and to make better differentiation on the body parts (Note this was suggested by a student and I totally agreed with it).




 All Done yay.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Angus this is really successful! I actually like the mark of stitching around the body part, those marks make it looks lively and I can find how you work through them that make the work more interesting! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I will think of these as purposeful aesthetic choices and enjoy the style as is. Reminds me of this site I ran across a while back due to my other profession -http://www.childsown.com/- the company accepts a drawings of a child's drawing and make a plushy as closely possible to the doodle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Angus,

    I think that you have done a great job exploring with different materials in making the plushies. I believe that throughout each iteration you have shown great improvements however I would consider putting careful attention to the stitching of the product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also think you've shown a lot of improvement in your iterations, but if you were to make a next step, it would be nice to see the use of a sewing machine or turning the limbs and torso inside out so that the stitching is no longer visible. It would create a cleaner, more refined plush.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, I think you have getting involve in sewing because I can see your improving in each iterations. But a little for you on what I know is you can sew it inside and turn around. Therefore, the stitching won't show it outside.

    ReplyDelete